Thursday 1 May 2008

CLIMAX

The Picture of Dorian Gray and... well, Starwing.

Having never before completed Starwing (SNES, 1993) I was amazed at how the end boss employed different 3D technology to the rest of the game. You see, the entire game engine renders wireframe shapes with basic coloured flat textures, whereas the end boss is the only thing that has a full colour texture wrapped around its wireframe. The sudden split in technology gave me quite a shock, and it truly made getting to the end of the game worthwhile.

This brought to mind the 1945 adaptation of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, where the film is in black and white up until the final scene, when the painting is revealed in its terrifying colour.

An unusual comparison, yes, but I have always been interested in such changes in technology and how they can be manipulated.


Photobucket




Yes, I get all my info from Wikipedia.

No comments: